Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Follow the leader

Nothing overly original in my post today. I didn't feel extremely motivated to drop something unique and so here I am. I thought I'd drop a post of some tracks I'm enjoying, give you good people some downloads and champion some of my favourite posts in the process. Yes, I am a sheep.

Mp3: Glass Candy – Running down the hills

I picked this little number off Big Stereo some time ago and it has latched onto my brain like an unwanted in law. Well, ok that is a touch harsh as the advances Glass Candy have made on my brain have been more than encouraged. "Running down the hills" is like something from a lullaby of indie-tastic proportions. A really well developed sound from a class act which I suppose is obvious isn’t it? When was the last time you heard of a class act that didn’t have a well developed sound. I am stupid, but so are you, you’re reading this. I love you.


Mp3: Young & Restless – Kapow

I think Young & Restless fit in that Belles Will Ring category of Australian music which bloggers just cannot get enough of. It could be posted by another 20 blogs and I still want to sing my own praises of its quality. “Kapow” is like a gigantic leap for these guys from promising new comers to the tenacious real deal. I think Young & Restless probably have one of the world’s finest front women and a sound that is fresh whilst still not reinventing the wheel. I’m fearful of seeing “Kapow” because chaos would follow. Thanks to A-reminder for this one.


Mp3: Go! Team – Grip like vice

I really like the Go! Team without loving them. My fellow white boy Chris is more involved with them than I but none the less I think “Grip like vice” is a brilliant track. Everything you could ask for from the Go! Team and more. Die hard fans may disagree with me, but I see this track as a bit of a “Panther Dash Pt II” which is certainly a good thing. Thanks to practically half the blogs on Hype Machine.


Mp3: Kayne West – Young Folks

If you asked the Whiteboydancefloor crew last year what we thought of Kayne West. We would tell you without a second thought that he is indeed one of the God’s of hip hop (whatever category you wish to place him) and that his album “Late Registration” was a masterstroke. For me personally, I am getting really tired of this idiot. He’s gone from being a little neurotic but still outspoken and funny to a complete joke. Kayne West is getting on my nerves and his sampling of Young Folks on this track and Daft Punk on another is complete rubbish. Kayne, back to eating [food prepared by overpriced chefs] and having car accidents. Thanks to All Things Go for uncovering this one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Kayne, back to eating fried chicken and having car accidents."

Get back to eating fried chicken?! What the f does that reference? When I think about it, I'm sure you just failed to recognize how offense that comment could be in an american context..

Kanye definitely does not SAMPLE "Youngs Folks" here. He raps over it like it's an instrumental. Learn to tell the difference.

It means that Kanye with 100% certainty does not claim that this is an original Kanye West track. It's just the usual crazy Kanye having fun on a mixtape, being playful and sharing some music that he loves. It's just a mixtape track in the freestyle, throwaway mixtape tradition.

As for the Daft Punk sample - the track has not leaked yet, so how can you judge him for that? Based on a youtube video? On the snippet from his mixtape?

The unmotivated antipathy, the uninformed commentary on the track and that fried chicken comment - I almost unsubscribed. But you guys are too good..


/Marcus

Pix said...

the fried chicken would be a reference to kayne flying chefs across the globe to cook him ridicilous varieties of food. i was under the knowledge it was glorified fried chicken. however i will change it bcoz i can see where the misinterpretation could occur. wouldn't want anyone to unsubscribe.

whether samples or rap overs. its still crap in my books. if the actual daft track is drastically better from the horrid snippet, ill post a full retraction. but i doubt it will hold anything less unoriginal than the snippet.

dont be shy in hacking on everything else i write too. thats why i do it.

thanx marcus. look forward to hearing from u more.

Anonymous said...

Kayne West has to be hands down the biggest tool ever to open he's mouth and attempt to sing, if only buddhist people could heel everyone.

Young & Restless = Future Megatron take over Australia and Modular groupie coolness.

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on. I thought that blogs could be commented on? You guys are becoming a major voice in the mp3 blog world. But I can't adress errors or critize you in the comments? This is not just any personal blog and I'm pretty sure you don't need me to tell you how good a music writer and blogger you are.

Sure, Kanyes "Young Folks" freestyle is crap. But that's because it's basically a joke taken out of context and then presented by you as some new unreleased Kanye track.

Don't worry, I won't be hacking on you anymore.

And apologies for the reaction against your fried chicken reference then. Even though I'm sure I'm not alone in reacting to it (as well as not knowing about that flying chef story).

My comment might've been a little overwrought. You do a good job, I appreciate it and I didn't mean to undermine your authority on good music. It's just ..you're way off base when talking about that track.

/M

Pix said...

i think you've detected a note of sarcasm in my reply which honestly isnt there

i truely do this for the criticism. if you look over some of my other posts i have had best friends, relatives, big name music acts disagree on what we say here. that's why we do it.

if people want to blow smoke up a bloggers ass they can go to stereogum. we want people to come on the wbdf and tell us we r off the mark, i want to be kept honest. i would hate to get to a point where i begin posting crap (which i often do) and no one pulls me up on it. if i wanted people to kiss my ass, id post about the shins, sufjan stevens and co every week. we welcome your comments, good bad or indifferent.

blogging is the last frontier of truth, i truely want the criticism, we thrive on it.

there is no prouder moment in wbdf history than wen famous australian act Muscles came on our very blog and hacked on us. We want diversity.

being aussie i didnt notice the lack of tact in the fried chicken comment, however i can c if u look at it on a more worldly scale it is quite offensive.

i stick by my request to here from u more. hell, add us to the myspace (if ur vein like us and have one)

www.myspace.com/whiteboydancefloor