Sunday, June 26, 2011

Perfect Darkness




Before I say anything else, I have to acknowledge that Fink is an absolutely phenomenal artist. For some time I have had my musical equals proclaiming the quality of Fink however I’d never sought out his music with enough vigour to have an opinion either way.

Upon listening to Perfect Darkness, I was left impressed possibly even dazzled. There are great riches in the deep bubbling of his vocal that accompanies the harmonic laden guitar pieces so perfectly. The album title and opening track seemed very fitting.

I reported back to known Fink fans with great excitement, I finally got it. But their lack of enthusiasm over the new album tempered my excitement somewhat. In their eyes, Perfect Darkness was pretty nice but in light of his previous releases, this was just more of the same. As a teacher, you constantly want your students to improve and grow. If a student comes to you getting 98%, it’s your job not to except the 97%ers when you know their capable of even more. 

What I learned was every time you encounter music from Fink, the building tension he generates with his vocals and the synergy with his guitar is assured. The difference between Fink’s best and everything else is his ability to completely move you, change your mood and leave you speechless.
What I didn’t realise then that I do now is that what I was feeling before was moderate appreciation and what Fink is truly capable of can be captivating and definitive.

No comments: