Friday, July 22, 2011

Splendour Selection #9 - Gotye



If there is one person that I must check out at Splendour this year, and therefore you should too, it's Gotye. I was a late comer to his music, only really getting into the album, Like Drawing Blood earlier this year. But I cannot express just how much I have attached myself to his music. Actually, I can. A lot.

As Pix said in his recent post on Gotye's new single which you can read about (and watch the clip for) here, I found it hard to detatch myself from what I heard on Triple J and really find Gotye on my own terms.
Until of course I happened upon his first album while in a friends car. There followed a moment of extreme sentimentality and suddenly it was as though all his songs were detailing the same turmoil that was going on inside my head. The songs just spoke to me. Yes, that's right. I'd somehow reverted into an angst ridden, suicidal teenager who'd had an epiphany and suddenly discovered that Adam's Song by Blink 182 was in fact their own personal obituary. Written by some 28 year old retards who still hadn't quite worked out they were no longer teenagers.

Fortunately for Gotye (and me) though, his music has slightly more depth to it. Many of his songs take you on a journey of reflection if you immerse yourself in them enough, which can get a little depressing. But the songs are so lovingly crafted that at times you can't help but get lost amongst the layers of many horns and strings.

While Gotye does have a distinct sound, it would be hard to pigeon hole him into a specific genre. His styles range from the soulful jazz ballads to orchestral style masterpieces, with spatters of blues and rock throughout.
Every style he attempts, he pulls it off flawlessly.

Having now seen Gotye live yet, I am very excited to check him out at Splendour. I have only read rave reviews about his performances and friends assure me he is amazing live.

He takes to the stage at 8:30 PM on Friday at Splendour, so be sure to check out what's bound to be an amazing performance.
If you're unfortunate enough to be missing Splendour, then he'll be playing at the Sydney Opera House on the 20th August and tickets are relatively cheap.

No comments: