Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Black Parade



My Chemical Romance are the real deal. I am totally convinced that they are true rock stars and capable of writing amazing pop music that isn't consigned to the guilty pleasure basket much like their modern day punk rock contemporaries and their earlier work.

I just witnessed their new video 'Welcome to the Black Parade' and I was totally gobsmacked. Gerard Way has positioned himself as some sort of emo-punk king and he looks every bit a king in this clip with his bleach-blonde crop adorning him like a crown. The opening shots of the video of him on that TV screen bring to mind images of a military dictator, the crowd entranced with every word he utters as he calls them to arms.

The song is stunningly bloated and overgrown, and makes tracks like 'Helena' look impotent in scale. Its blistering, soaring and the ultimate statement from a band that is about to take over the world. It is a blatantly over the top, operatic track that is so ridiculous its almost perfect.

This band matter. I might regret every word i've said tomorrow, but I doubt it. The new album is out late October and I can't wait.


VIDEO: My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade

8 comments:

Pix said...

ok you know its scary when we are watching the same channel at the same time.

Anonymous said...

oooooooo....even scarier is that a my chemical romance song got me so excited i had to post straight away

I Drive The Bandwagon said...

blonde is the new emo? how many attempts does it take to cut deep enuf already?!!

Anonymous said...

after watching and listening, all i can say is i hope that you woke up and DID regret the plaudits you handed out to these guys for that.. queen choruses and slow bits meets late blink 182. theres a reason THEY went on a break. fans are probably calling it epic because it goes for over 5 minutes.. another problem. i gave it a chance, and it fell on its ass.

Pix said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pix said...

everything is crystal in my mind now.

my chemical romance shares so many paralells with the new muse album (and my spelling capabilities).

HORRENDOUS!

Pix said...

P.S

more debates like this. i want everything we post on this blog to be bagged, scrutinized and deconstructed!!!

now how bout some hacking on my posts too ey?...

Anonymous said...

i disagree, this band are fantastic and i regret none of what i said. they truly are one of the best bands in pop music today

see thats mcr's schtick. they are over the top, they are bloated and 'epic' (worst musical adjective ever) but thats what keeps me coming back. they reach for the stratosphere and unlike some bands who bombastically reach for such heights (muse and coldplay et al.) they do it with their tounges firmly planted in their cheeks and a smile on their face. that emo thing is just a facade