Thursday, February 4, 2010

Album Review: The Soft Pack - Self Titled


Whenever I finish listening to an album and I set out to write a post for whiteboydancefloor, I think of what angle I am going to take when posting. What aspects do I want to push and what is it I'm trying to say. I don't need to be reminded most of my posts don't result in a clear angle but rather incoherent babbling, heck I'm not even sure I am qualified enough to be talking about angles-my angle is no angle...

Don't be fooled, The Soft Pack are from San Diego, despite sounding like they're straight out of a UK working class upbringing. They play straight forward no frill rock n roll, if you listen to their self titled release and try to look for something more, you're wasting your time. There is no scheme more devilish for The Soft Pack than to have you obligingly nod your head and feverishly tap your feet as if you never knew the world was anything other than black and white, up and down, right and wrong, Celtic or Rangers. Bands like this help me cling to my sanity as they don't have you concerned with any "there is no spoon" b.s that bands like Kings of Leon or U2 will have you believe is necessary in rock music and makes getting to the enjoying part a whole lot quicker and easier.

"Answer to Yourself" is a standout track and encapsulates what The Soft Pack are on about, if you don't like it, you won't like The Soft Pack, so don't bother.

Mp3: The Soft Pack - Answer To Yourself

Myspace: The Soft Pack

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Anonymous said...

tert