Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Music: Bruce Peninsula & Drive By Truckers

Music is a dangerous love affair. The secret is to keep on the crest of the wave and try not to get cut up by the reef or bogged in the seaweed, it's imperative you keep moving and then get out before you've stayed on too long. This is the fragile relationship I share with music and up until recently I feel like my ears have been getting slashed to pieces on the reef when it comes to rock music (I use the term broadly).

I've made two great discoveries.

Now before you download Bruce Peninsula, be forewarned Bruce Peninsula are a cult and they want control you!

Funnily enough last night I saw Avatar and for whatever reason I think "Crabapples" by Bruce Peninsula would be on the soundtrack to Avatar if you had Danny Elfman compiling it. Not a criticism of the music but they do tread a fine line between a moving experience and gimmicky with the gospel elements but I think they do it well.

As I listen to "Crabapples" and close my eyes, I can slowly hear the tribal drum beats and devil's choir hypnotizing me in some bizarre ritual. By the time you realise what they sinister plans are for you, it's too late... you're brainwashed. After listening to the choir of **Bruce Peninsula, I feel as if I've bathed in the waters and been born anew.

A Mountain is a Mouth comes out in Australia 13th February via Sensory Projects / Inertia Distribution.

Mp3: **Bruce Peninsula - Crabapples

Website: **Bruce Peninsula

Edit** Oww and please don't call them Brian.... despite my faux pas

*******


Drive By Truckers was a chance find on my endless searching across the millions of music blogs out there. Putting it simply, I haven't enjoyed a basic power chord rock song this much since Diamond Night's "Saturday Fantastic". From my brief wiki search it appears as if Drive By Truckers are one of those bands that have been around for ages and gone through more members in a decade than an Alex Ferguson coached football side (notice how I resisted a perfect chance to drop a Sleepy Jackson jibe?). Frontman Mike Cooley seems to be their Alex Ferguson and while I wouldn't put him in the mercurial and prolific premiership manager status, he's certainly sounds the accomplished frontman.

Anyways this kind of tune is well and truly rooted in that nineties rock scene but it's pleasing to hear someone doing it simply and sharp in 2010. I think you'll enjoy it, most of us can relate to a song entitled "This fucking job".

Their album The Big To Do will be out early 2010 sometime. I don't think I'll be counting down the days but hey, it's a solid little tune.

Mp3: Drive By Truckers - This Fucking Job

Myspace: Drive By Truckers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's BRUCE Peninsula...not "Brian"!!!!!

Pix said...

sorry about that, rookie late night mistake, i got mixed up between my camp male names

music was still very fresh in the mind

obviously someone from the band so cheers for the heads up

Anonymous said...

nice, i just added up lots of bran-new emo backgrounds to my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info