Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Tale Of Modern Heartbreak



Goyte has always had an eloquent way with his words. Arguably he's fallen short of world domination because of people like me who don't have the self control to properly peel away what they've heard or what Triple J has told them and discover Goyte on their own terms.

"Somebody That I Used To Know" is a slow burning tale of modern day heartbreak. The narrative weighs on you so heavily it's taxing to immerse yourself in it. Goyte has that knack of taking the most simple of the English language and turning it into poetry. Even as a jaded lover, Kimbra is angelic and her interjections turns this from something very nice into the rope stuck around your leg ready to drag you down and drown you in the depths of your oldest sorrows.


I can't sing the praises of "Somebody That I Used To Know" highly enough but I can thrust my flag into the earth and proclaim to finally being in tune with his genius. Rather I must thank joining the world of twitter and getting the hot tip from @Wil_Anderson.

No comments: