Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bang Bang Bang On The Wall



I started Ladyhawke out of a desire to do my own project where I could completely express myself in any way I wanted without having to answer to bandmates! I wanted to make music that could put a smile on people’s faces and give them a feeling of nostalgia even though they may be hearing my songs for the first time. I love how music evokes memories of a certain time, I wanted to see if I could find a method of song writing that would evoke those feelings from me on writing the song and then on the individual when listening to it for the first time.

I draw massively from many many influences. You could definitely say I wear them on my sleeve. But what I have tried to do is really recreate the same vibe that so many amazing records of the 70's and 80's produced. Vintage Synths have been used. I've wanted to keep simple hooky guitar riffs throughout the tracks, but at times let loose with a solo every now and then. (my self indulgent moments ha!) I wanted to capture the "happy sad" vibe that so many eighties classics had. Music that came out of the eighties had such a unique and definitive sound. Big production, big synths, and big guitar riffs. The songwriters were incredibly significant, and the whole musical era left an everlasting impression on me.

I feel though, that the vast amount of influences I draw from mesh nicely with my "modern" upbringing. I am not only influenced by music of a bygone era, I also draw hugely from pop-culture, not just musical pop culture, but in art, media, television, movies, everything that bombarded my senses growing up and to this day. That includes modern music makers. Bands and producers of now who inspire me.
I'd like to think that my obsession with musical heroes of the seventies and eighties has blended with my exposure to music of a more recent date, to create quite a new, interesting and relevant sound. Me and Ladyhawke are two sides of one coin.

- Pip Brown (Ladyhawke)

Ladyhawke's debut album will be available in Australia from the 20th of September, make sure you get a copy!

Here is the video clip for Ladyhawke's latest single 'Dusk Till Dawn'.


Also check out the really cute Ladyhawke video game.

Peace.

No comments: