Monday, August 25, 2008

Little Red @ The Annandale - 22/08/08

After missing them at Splendour it was with a steely determination that I got my ass down to the Annandale early to see Little Red at their sold out show on Friday. Yet when I got there, the place was freaking empty. Had something gone wrong? Was I there on the wrong night? Had daylight savings fooled me again? No. The marquee told me I was in the right place, I just forgot to read the bit at the bottom of the ticket that said 'show up fashionably late'.

So there I am, waiting for 20 minutes longer than the timesheet said and sipping on my Coke before Andy Bull came out (with his band - not also called Andy Bull I'm assuming). The horns, drums and bass began with a tight and funky sound that grabbed the attention of the small group of people who could be bothered seeing him. Then he started to sing and I got the feeling that this was more than likely a label decided support. The hooks were great but the vocals (critically acclaimed judging by his myspace) had a decent range but no dynamics. Not even the enthusiasm of the people behind me could enhance my enjoyment (especially after finding out it was his parents and friends) and after they all solo'd - except for our man Andy - I got the hell out of there. Where his band are tight and the contrasting melodies on the horns are fantastic, Andy Bull lacks in character. Sure he's signed to a major but to me that just reinforces the fact that a pretty face makes more money. The quotes at the end of his bio say that 'Andy Bull commands centre stage'. I dont know if these people were at the Annandale show but being outshone by your band isn't indicative of command. At least his Mum likes him.

The Holidays were up next and the place was considerably more packed. Not being familiar with them myself I still approached them with an open mind and wasn't dissappointed. While I will say that these guys wear the influence of The Strokes on their sleeves, they take it that little bit more and make it their own. Upbeat and pleasant songs were met warmly and got the crowd shaking their proverbial groove-things and the appreciation was reciprocated with a great set filled spontaneously with songs I'd heard before on the radio. Fun and rocking, thank god the Holidays could watch bitter taste of Bull out of my mouth. I'd go and see these guys - and as they're from Sydney I'm sure I shall get the opportunity sometime soon.

Since seeing them in April things have certainly just got bigger and better for Little Red. Have the strains of touring taken their toll? It certainly wouldn't appear so as they stood on the side of the stage doing their vocal warmups in a big, dancing huddle. The curtain lifted, the stage was filled and the set began with 'Stare In Love'. It only got better from there as they spent the next hour and a bit playing songs from the album, the preceeding EP and a few new ones as well. What can be said about the live performance? It was energetic, highly entertaining, the sound was great.



Witch Doctor

What's interesting about Little Red are the dynamics brought to the group by the certain 'characters' it contains. While alot of the focus is taken by the endearing smile and physical joy of drummer Taka Honda, mention has to be made to the see-sawing mix of awkward nervousness and excited emotions that escape at random times through the guitar playing and vocals of Dominic Byrne. Quang Dinh (bass/vocals) and Adrian Beltrame (guitar/vocals) play in a slightly more reserved fashion which throws a sense of maturity and cool into the mix. Despite the focus some people have on the other members of the band is it, without a doubt, Mr. Thomas Hartney that commands the show. This is a guy whos on-stage persona oozes cool, with brooding vocals and a swagger that says 'I might be playing the tambourine but I had sex with your mother last night - and she loved it'. His vocals, energy and of course the crowd interaction during 'Jackie Cooper' gave him the man of the match award for the show. While I don't know if these personas are intentional, let alone a reflection of what these guys are actually like, they work well together. Combine that with moving all over the stage and the constant switching of lead vocalist and its a very fresh approach that constantly keeps you intersted.


The touring certainly doesn't seem to have taken a toll on the voices of these lads, they were impeccable throughout the whole night (except for a little bit of shakiness in the new material), some nice harmonies were used to end songs - with the transition between 'Believe In Your Man' and 'Speedo' a particular highlight showing that these guys aren't just going out there and going through the motions, the live set is developing. It all ended with 'Coca Cola', Taka taking his bearings on the roof height rather cautiously before stepping onto his drumkit to dance around a bit, an encore followed and it was over.



Coca Cola

I paid fifteen measly dollars to go to this gig, and I don't know if I've had a better live experience this year. I keep on saying it over and over and who knows, I might just keep doing so until you listen - but while the album is called 'Listen to Little Red' - my suggestion is SEE THEM LIVE. Whether you like them or not, it is near impossible to walk out of a show without a smile or a song stuck in your head. Surely thats worth the price of admission alone. Until someone handed me a flyer on my way out I had even forgotten the name of the first act..

4 comments:

juck / ヨッシー said...

Please link to my rock blog MRMR.

Unknown said...

very good review. probably one of the most accurate ones I've read about the boys

Javid van der Piepers said...

thanks very much :) a little better than the drum media review i thought..

Anonymous said...

禮服店
酒店小姐
酒店兼職
酒店上班
酒店經紀
酒店打工
酒店兼差
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
童裝批發
童裝批發
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領