Monday, August 18, 2008

Mr. Gorbachev wouldn't tear this down


After writing to you last week of my sadness at the musical direction of Cansei De Ser Sexy, upon listening to Tilly & The Wall's "Pot Kettle Black" almost had me reaching for the noose. Thankfully after giving the entire album entitled (O) my worry was all for nothing. While "Pot Kettle Black" almost seems like it is trying to dance over the grave of Be Your Own Pet, the rest of (O) picks up exactly where Bottom of Barrels left off.

Last time i spoke fondly of the Red Army March of tracks like "Bad Education" and perhaps if at all possible, tracks like "Dust me off" keep the beat marching along with a renewed colour and vigour. While I would be harsh enough to say "Pot Kettle Black" is dull if not a trip down the other of the roads in a yellow wood, one leaves had trodden black where as tracks like the slightly Boney M-esque "Cacophony" soar higher than anything I've heard from Tilly & the Wall in the past.

So I invite you to give their latest video "Pot Kettle Black" a listen but then compare it to "Sing Songs Along" from their previous album and note why my bland radar had started to flicker ever so slightly.







And that made all the difference.